Monday, January 31, 2011

The non-emergency


It’s been a while since I last posted, not because there haven’t been numerous traffic fails; frankly I’ve just been lazy and haven’t felt like posting.  However, my morning commute inspired me to write again.

I’m sure everyone has experienced this, but it’s unfair, it’s dangerous and it needs to stop. 

I was driving on a fairly busy road going the speed limit – 55mph, when all of a sudden I see a fire truck coming towards me with his strobe lights on.  Immediately I do the right thing – I pull over and put on my hazard lights to:
1. Get out of the way and…
2. Alert other drivers of the emergency vehicle

Only, this particular truck wasn’t having an emergency, he just needed coffee.  After blowing through a busy intersection with his strobes and sirens on, he turned them off and casually pulled into a McDonalds. 

As if that wasn’t frustrating enough, a half-mile or so down the (same) road, an ambulance became visible; also with strobes and sirens.  Again, being the law-observing citizen I am – I pulled over and turned on my hazards.  Same thing – this inconsiderate, disrespectful driver pulled into another fast-food joint. 

Why is it okay for these emergency vehicle drivers to pretend there is a legitimate emergency when really they could just use some coffee?  Look – I drink as much coffee as the next guy, but never has my need for a cup qualified as an emergency.

1 comment: